Michigan Deer Crash Coalition
What motorcyclists can do to avoid deer crashes
Be alert for deer whenever they ride. Deer-vehicle crashes happen in urban, suburban and rural areas.
- Slow down. Decreasing speed gives a motorcyclist more time to spot an animal and react.
- Cover the brakes to reduce reaction time.
- Use high beam headlights and additional driving light when possible.
- If riding in a group, spread out riders in a staggered formation. If one rider hits a deer, this will lessen the chance that other riders will be involved.
- Wear protective gear at all times.